The Kapali Carsi

Another surprise from the Central Bank of Turkey?

The Central Bank of Turkey will be holding its monthly rate-setting Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting tomorrow.

Of the twelve economists polled by business channel CNBC-e, four expect a cut in the floor of the Bank’s interest rate corridor. Of these four, only one expects the ceiling of the corridor to be lowered as well. All the economists believe the Bank will not change its policy rate. In sum, there is quite a bit of consensus that the Bank will not do much.

Here’s the intro. to my latest Hurriyet Daily News (HDN) column. While I find, using daily U.S. inflation, that the real exchange rate has already passed the Central Bank’s threshold level of 120, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they will act. That’s because the Bank has been burned by preemptive easing before. Anyway, you can read the whole thing at the HDN website.

I only have a couple of extra remarks this time: First, note that I calculate the real exchange rate (RER) using only U.S. data, whereas the Central Bank uses 30 or so countries (there’s a hyperlink to their methodological note in the column). That’s why I have to look at the relationship between my index and the Central Bank’s to extrapolate the official index. My friend Ozlem Derici of Ekspres Invest does something slightly different: She calculates RER with EUR and USD, using Euro Area and U.S. inflation forecasts. She told me her own RER is 121-122, which is not far off from mine.

And here’s the official pre-MPC note by Deutsche chief economist Cem Akyurek, to whom I refer to in the column.

Finally, I should tell you that I really feel like an idiot calculating real exchange rate on a daily basis. But that’s the Central Bank’s fault, not mine. After all, they are the ones targeting the real exchange rate…

P.S.: Note that I will edit this post tomorrow right after the MPC  or do a separate post and let you what the Central Bank did, so stay tuned…

41 Responses to “Another surprise from the Central Bank of Turkey?”

Caustic PopJanuary 22nd, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Very confused, Mr Deliveli. Cutting rights, but raising reserve requirements? Are they stuck in a TRYlemma? :-)

Hajj PackagesJuly 24th, 2013 at 11:55 am

http://www.riftgoldAugust 4th, 2013 at 9:47 pm

burn fat feed muscleAugust 19th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

concrete cleanerAugust 23rd, 2013 at 2:34 pm

This is some awesome stuff from your end. Pure rectifying class. Just absolutely unique and out of this world! Thanks for this mind-blowing stuff. Do you always do this kind of stuff ?

beregn bmiAugust 24th, 2013 at 10:35 am

bmi beregningAugust 25th, 2013 at 7:48 am

En BMI skala går fra <16.00 som er undervægtig til >40 som er fedme i den højeste klasse. Du skal dog være opmærksom på at en Bmi beregner tager udgangspunkt i et gennemsnitligt menneske, så du kan have en forhøjet bmi eller en lav bmi uden at der er noget forkert i det.

ultimate candida diSeptember 3rd, 2013 at 7:31 am

I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more soon.However, it immersed inside the brine for virtually every block ice machine super super very very long time, there may appear rust vestige within the welding poit fo the mould our article definitely worth looking through.

30 days toSeptember 15th, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you've nailed it. You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your post. 30 days to a slim and sexy you

the truthSeptember 15th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page!the truth about cellulite

the girlfriendSeptember 15th, 2013 at 9:19 pm

take a lookSeptember 15th, 2013 at 9:20 pm

buy rocketSeptember 19th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

if you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author and every day you have the opportunity to write a new page. buy rocket chinese premium

click hereSeptember 20th, 2013 at 10:30 am

Awesome work, man! Such an interesting and nice article to read. Really good! This article provides me with such information that I couldn't have found anywhere else. Thank you very much for this!