· Resident Scholar at TIGER economic think-tank (www.tiger.edu.pl)
· Assistant Professor of Economics at Kozminski University, Warsaw, Poland (September 2008 to present).
Previous work experience:
· Chief Economist of PKO BP, the largest bank in Poland (May to September 2008);
· Economist, European Department, International Monetary Fund, Washington DC, USA (2006-08);
· A representative of Poland and Advisor to the Swiss Executive Director, International Monetary Fund, Washington DC, USA (2004-06);
· Research Director at TIGER economic think-tank, Kozminski University, Warsaw, Poland (2002–04, Research Assistant 2000-02);
· Advisor to Poland’s Deputy Premier and Minister of Finance Prof. Grzegorz W. Kolodko. (2002–03);
· Lecturer in “International Banking” and “Principles of Bank-Corporate Relationships” at the Kozminski University (2002-04);
· Senior Relationship Manager (1999-2000, Relationship Manager 1996-99) in the Corporate Banking Department of Citibank (Poland) S.A., Warsaw, Poland;
· Financial analyst at Citicorp Securities Inc., Citigroup, Chicago, USA (1997-98).
· Ph.D. in Economics, Kozminski University, Warsaw, Poland. Doctoral dissertation: The Impact of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) on Economic Growth and Business Development in Post-Communist Countries. Supervisor — Prof. Grzegorz W. Kolodko. Date of defense: October 2004;
· M.A. in Finance and Banking, Warsaw School of Economics (1996-2000). Final grade 5+ out of 5+ (equivalent of summa cum laude). Master’s dissertation: Leveraged Buyouts in Poland. Supervisor – Prof. Karol Lutkowski.
· Roosevelt University, Chicago, USA (1997-98). Department of Finance and Accounting. GPA: 4.0 out of 4.0.
· Ph.D. research study at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA (July-August 2003);
· Ph.D. internship at the United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU/WIDER), Helsinki, Finland (June-August, 2002);
· Research study at the OECD Development Centre, Paris, France (October 2001);
· Research study at London Business School, UK (April 2001).
Most recent academic publications:
· (2008) with Mariusz Jarmuzek “Zero Corporate Income Tax in Moldova: Tax Competition and Its Implications for Eastern Europe”, IMF Working Paper 08/203, International Monetary Fund, August.
· (2007) Bart van Ark and M. Piatkowski, ‘Productivity, Innovation and ICT in Old and New Europe’, in: G. Cette, M. Fouquin and H.W. Sinn (eds). Divergences in Productivity between Europe and the United States. London: Edward Elgar.
· (2006) ‘Can ICT Make a Difference in the Development of Transition Economies?’, Information Technologies and International Development, Vol. 3(1), Fall, pp. 37-51. Reprinted in: (2006) A. D’Costa (ed.), The New Economy in Development: ICT Challenges and Opportunities, Palgrave-Macmillan, London, pp. 89-109.
· (2005) ‘The Aggregate Contribution of ICT to Output and Labor Productivity Growth in Transition Economies’ in: G. W. Kolodko (ed.) The Polish Miracle. Lessons for the Emerging Markets. Ashgate, Aldershot, England-Burlington, VT, USA.
· (2005) Information Society in Poland. A Prospective Analysis. Warsaw: Leon Kozminski Academy Publishing House, pp. 1-206.
· Full list of publications available at: http://www.tiger.edu.pl/onas/piatkowski/publikacje.htm